The Right Side of the Bed: 6 Tips to Waking up Healthy and Happy
“I hope everyone that is reading this is having a really good day. And if you are not, just know that in every new minute that passes you have an opportunity to change that”. - Gillian Anderson
Above, is a statement expressed by actress, writer, and activist Gillian Anderson. It’s true, most of us have experienced those jump for joy kind of days, and similarly those snuggle up with a blanket and have a good cry kind of of days. It is SO important to note that there is nothing to be ashamed of when you make a mistake or just aren’t having the best day.
At Indigo Girls we strive for young women to practice self-love and learn strategies that help them adapt to their emotions. So, here are some tips on how to start your day with a smile, turn those bad days into good ones, or even those good days into better ones.
1. Just before starting you morning routine and getting out of bed: think about one thing that you are grateful for in your life.
If that one thing having a good friend or being surrounded by loved ones, let them know!
Maybe you are grateful for being alive. It is a beautiful thing to remind yourself that you are special and unique and have the ability to make a positive impact on others around you.
2. Do a quick morning stretch or exercise, any type of physical activity that will help you reduce stress or release endorphins.
Endorphins are hormones released in your body that help improve mood. They are usually released during exercise.
3. Eat Healthy! What you put in your body is a huge determinant of how you feel. Follow the link below to read about Canadian recommendations for what you should be eating for your specific age. The information found in this website is just a recommendation, of course every individual should eat depending on other health factors, such as weight, level of weekly physical activity, and health conditions.
4. If you want to increase your mood. Make an effort to practice something that you love to do everyday. Whether it is expressing yourself through drawing, photography, music, sports, or other hobbies.
5. Have a quick dance party and rock out to your favourite songs. Here are a few happy and upbeat song suggestions.
“Ain’t no Mountain High Enough”- Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrel
“Fight song” - Rachel Plattten
“Love myself” – Hailee Steinfeld
6. Take some time to smile, even if it’s just to someone walking by you.
Make this list your own and have fun with it!
Indigo Girl’s Tip: Write positive comments on sticky notes and place them on your mirror, wall or locker to make your morning bright!